Guidelines for Treating Shallow, Dry Wounds
- To maintain or create moist wound surface
Obtain a physician order:
- Use Standard Precautions
- Clean wound with Normal Saline or with a Dermal Wound Cleanser for infected wounds. (Follow manufacturer instructions if using a Dermal Wound Cleanser)
- Pat dry
- Hydrate with a hydrogel
- Apply a foam dressing (product examples include Polymen or Allevyn)
- Change every 3-7 days
- Document per agency guidelines
* Note: These are wound care guidelines only. Consult with the primary physician for specific orders.
If you found this article informative and useful share it with your friends and colleagues.
Simplify Your Hospice Team’s Training and Skill Building
A complete solution for your agency: more than 125 hospice courses, caregiver in-services, training plans, and more.