Guidelines for Treating Shallow, Dry Wounds
- To maintain or create moist wound surface
Obtain a physician order:
- Use Standard Precautions
- Clean wound with Normal Saline or with a Dermal Wound Cleanser for infected wounds. (Follow manufacturer instructions if using a Dermal Wound Cleanser)
- Pat dry
- Hydrate with a hydrogel
- Apply a foam dressing (product examples include Polymen or Allevyn)
- Change every 3-7 days
- Document per agency guidelines
* Note: These are wound care guidelines only. Consult with the primary physician for specific orders.
If you found this article informative and useful share it with your friends and colleagues.