A Guide to Managing Wound Exudate in Hospice
Wound Symptom Management: Exudate Control
- Fill dead space with products indicated in deep wet wound care dressings
- Sanitary Napkins, Panty liners
- Nursing (Breast feeding) pads around tube sites
- Baby diapers
- Consider a two week trial of topical and/or oral antibiotics for a clean pressure ulcer that is not healing or after 2 -4 weeks of the area continuing to produce exudates
- If heavy exudates are present, discuss the option of negative pressure wound therapy with Wound Care Resource Nurse or your supervisor
* Note: These are wound care guidelines only. Consult with the primary physician for specific orders.
If you found this article informative and useful share it with your friends and colleagues.