A Guide to Managing Wound Exudate in Hospice
Wound Symptom Management: Exudate Control
- Fill dead space with products indicated in deep wet wound care dressings
- Sanitary Napkins, Panty liners
- Nursing (Breast feeding) pads around tube sites
- Baby diapers
- Consider a two week trial of topical and/or oral antibiotics for a clean pressure ulcer that is not healing or after 2 -4 weeks of the area continuing to produce exudates
- If heavy exudates are present, discuss the option of negative pressure wound therapy with Wound Care Resource Nurse or your supervisor
* Note: These are wound care guidelines only. Consult with the primary physician for specific orders.
If you found this article informative and useful share it with your friends and colleagues.
Simplify Your Hospice Team’s Training and Skill Building
A complete solution for your agency: more than 125 hospice courses, caregiver in-services, training plans, and more.