A Guide to Handling a Bleeding Wound
Wound Symptom Management: Bleeding
- Gentle touch
- Use non-adherent dressings
- Apply direct pressure
- Ice packs
- Calcium Alginate dressings
- Gauze soaked in 1:1000 Epinephrine over the area of bleeding
- Silver nitrate sticks
- Sucralfate paste: crush a 1 gram Sucralfate (Carafate) tablet in 2 – 3 cc of water-soluable gel and apply to area
- If the bleeding is severe or there is the potential for a large bleed from the wound, consult with your wound care resource nurse about a new product: HemCon
* Note: These are wound care guidelines only. Consult with the primary physician for specific orders.
If you found this article informative and useful share it with your friends and colleagues.