What is a Thrift Shop Volunteer?
Volunteers who choose to work in a hospice thrift shop participate in basic hospice volunteer orientation followed by specialized training to work in a retail setting. This specialty training is generally followed by “on the job” training in the thrift shop with a volunteer “buddy” or mentor.
Thrift Shop Volunteer Training Goals
- connect volunteers and their work at the thrift shops to hospice mission, vision and values
- provide volunteers with an initial knowledge base
- educate the volunteers about the hospice patient and family directed model of care
- introduce the personal journey of the volunteer
- educate about the role of volunteers as hospice ambassadors
- teach the history of hospice and scope of services
- familiarize volunteers with thrift shop roles and responsibilities
- teach basic bereavement skills
If you found this article informative and useful share it with your friends and colleagues.
Simplify Your Hospice Team’s Training and Skill Building
A complete solution for your agency: more than 125 hospice courses, caregiver in-services, training plans, and more.