How To Guide For Changing A Central Line Dressing In Hospice
In this article, we will provide step by step instructions on how to change a central line dressing for hospice care patients.
Simplify Your Hospice Team’s Training and Skill Building
A complete solution for your agency: more than 125 hospice courses, caregiver in-services, training plans, and more.
- Central Line Dressing Kit
- Clean gloves
- Needleless Injection Cap
- Stat Lock Adaptor for PICC’s and Midlines
- Wash hands
- Explain procedure
- Position patient for comfort
- Don mask and clean gloves
- Remove existing dressing (Always remove PICC dressing from bottom to top to prevent dislodging catheter
- Assess site
- Put on sterile gloves
- Cleanse skin with chloraprep allowing to air dry (If using kit with alcohol and betadine, use alcohol first then betadine allowing both to air dry)
- Apply skin prep avoiding area of catheter insertion and allow to air dry
- Cover with sterile transparent dressing (DO NOT PUT GAUZE UNDER OCCLUSIVE DRESSING)
- Change needleless injection cap
- Label with date and initial
- Document procedure
If you found this article informative and useful share it with your friends and colleagues.