Guidelines for Treating Shallow Wet Wounds
- To absorb excess moisture
- To maintain moist wound surface
- To insulate and protect
Obtain a physician order:
- Use Standard Precautions
- Clean wound with Normal Saline or with a Dermal Wound Cleanser for infected wounds. (Follow manufacturer instructions for cleaning wound)
- Pat dry
- Hydrate with a hydrogel
- Apply a foam dressing (Product examples include Polymem or Allevyn)
- Change every 3-7 days
- Document per agency protocol
* Note: These are wound care guidelines only. Consult with the primary physician for specific orders.
If you found this article informative and useful share it with your friends and colleagues.