How to Treat a Stage 1 Pressure Ulcer
- Non-blanchable erythema of intact skin
- Discoloration, edema, induration and warmth over bony prominence in dark skin
- If possible, remove cause
- Attempt to prevent further tissue damage
Obtain a physician order:
- Use Standard Precautions
- Cleanse area gently
- Pat dry; do not rub
- Apply a thin hydrocolloid dressing to area (product examples include Duo Derm Extra Thin or Tegaderm
- Change once a week and/or PRN
- Apply skin prep for intact heels
- Educate patient and family about pressure ulcers, turning frequently (as patient chooses/allows) and document
- Document per agency guidelines
* Note: These are wound care guidelines only. Consult with the primary physician for specific orders.
If you found this article informative and useful share it with your friends and colleagues.