Guidelines for Deep Wet Wound Care
- To fill dead space
- To absorb excess exudates
- To maintain moist wound surface and protect surrounding skin around wound
Obtain a physician order:
- Use Standard Precautions
- Clean wound with Normal Saline or with a Dermal Wound Cleanser for infected wounds. (Follow manufacturer instructions if using a Dermal Wound Cleanser.)
- Pat dry
- Lightly pack wound bed with a absorbent dressing (product examples include PolyWic or Calcium Alginate)
- Cover with foam dressing (product examples include Polymem or Allevyn)
- Change every 3-5 days (Will vary according amount of exudate)
- If after 2-3 dressing changes, the wound still needs to be changed more frequently than every 3 days, consult with a wound care nurse about alternative dressings
- Document per agency protocol
* Note: These are wound care guidelines only. Consult with the primary physician for specific orders.
If you found this article informative and useful share it with your friends and colleagues.