Guidelines for Deep Wet Wound Care
- To fill dead space
- To absorb excess exudates
- To maintain moist wound surface and protect surrounding skin around wound
Obtain a physician order:
- Use Standard Precautions
- Clean wound with Normal Saline or with a Dermal Wound Cleanser for infected wounds. (Follow manufacturer instructions if using a Dermal Wound Cleanser.)
- Pat dry
- Lightly pack wound bed with a absorbent dressing (product examples include PolyWic or Calcium Alginate)
- Cover with foam dressing (product examples include Polymem or Allevyn)
- Change every 3-5 days (Will vary according amount of exudate)
- If after 2-3 dressing changes, the wound still needs to be changed more frequently than every 3 days, consult with a wound care nurse about alternative dressings
- Document per agency protocol
* Note: These are wound care guidelines only. Consult with the primary physician for specific orders.
If you found this article informative and useful share it with your friends and colleagues.
Simplify Your Hospice Team’s Training and Skill Building
A complete solution for your agency: more than 125 hospice courses, caregiver in-services, training plans, and more.