A Quick Guide On Preventing Falls
You are here:
Estimated reading time: 1 min
There are a number of things you can do at home to prevent falls.
- Clear walkways of any objects that might cause tripping.
- Remove throw rugs.
- Use non-slip mats in the bathtub and/or shower.
- Choose footwear with light, non-slip soles.
- Keep often-used items on shelves that can be easily reached.
- Use assistive equipment such as a cane or walker to maximize independence and prevent injury.
- Make sure rooms are well lit.
- Use a chair with firm support and arm rests to help move from sitting to standing.
- Consider installing grab bars in the bath and near the toilet.
- Add an elevated toilet seat to your standard toilet.
- Keep a phone close by – portable phones can be clipped to a waistband or carried in a bag on a walker.
- Consider a personal alarm that will notify an emergency contact when the button is pressed.
- Talk with your care team about assistive equipment that promotes safety and independence.
If you found this article informative and useful share it with your friends and colleagues.